Get More Support

Here for you 24/7

learn more
VOD Free SDK

Start Building your Engine Now

Download Now
VOD Extranet

Access to patches, license management,
tech docs and more for existing VOD customers.

Learn More
JPA 2.0 Criteria API: (When) Fully supported ?
Last Post 23 Feb 2012 02:32 PM by PerJochumsen. 1 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
VerlSnake

--
23 Feb 2012 02:06 PM

First of all: Is the keyword "JPA 2.0 Criteria API" perhaps a synonym for "Versant JPA 2.0 Generic API" ?

Now an excerpt from the website of a 3rd party vendor which tries to support JPA 2.0:

"The primary difference between JPA 1.0 and JPA 2.0 implementations is how data is fetched: the JPA 1.0 implementation creates a JPQL query string for fetching while the JPA 2.0 implementation uses Criteria API.

Tested JPA 2.0 providers

* Hibernate 3.6.1 - PASS. Minimum version 3.6.1 - older versions have a bug in the Criteria API implementation which prevents correct negation of conjunction and disjunction predicates.
             * EclipseLink 2.2.0 - PASS.
             * OpenJPA 2.1.0 - FAIL. Does not support "lower(FIELD_NAME) LIKE lower('value')". According to the exception message only "lower(FIELD_NAME) LIKE 'value'" is supported:

org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: The filter listener "matches" requires a constant argument.

* DataNucleus 2.2.2 - FAIL. Was not able to create even a simple query with Criteria API.
             * ObjectDB 2.1.0 - FAIL. Does not support Criteria API:
               java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Unsupported feature - JPA Criteria Builder"

The Versant JPA 2.0 implementation is not (yet) listed in the list of Tested JPA 2.0 providers; but, of course, I would like to know:
    - When will the Versant JPA 2.0 implementation fully support the JPA 2.0 Criteria API ? In the sense that it passes the test of the above 3rd party vendor ?

PerJochumsen

--
    23 Feb 2012 02:32 PM
    First of all: Is the keyword "JPA 2.0 Criteria API" perhaps a synonym for "Versant JPA 2.0 Generic API" ?

No, the Versant JPA Generic API provides a freestanding mechanism for accessing the content of a V/JPA database without the need of having the JPA entity classes available. This allows you to write tools that can browse and modify the database content.

The Versant JPA 2.0 implementation is not (yet) listed in the list of Tested JPA 2.0 providers; but, of course, I would like to know: - When will the Versant JPA 2.0 implementation fully support the JPA 2.0 Criteria API ? In the sense that it passes the test of the above 3rd party vendor ?

Please note that Versant JPA is still in technical preview state, which might be a reason for the 3rd party vendor for not listing it. It is planned to support Criteria Queries in the future, but I can't give a fixed date for this by now. As I don't know what tests the the 3rd party vendor is executing, I can't answer if we would pass the tests, yet.

Cheers, Per

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3